What an amazing year. The last 12 months have been a series of challenges, opportunities and good fortune for the sporting clays discipline at Redmond Rod and Gun Club. We took a solid foundation and transformed it into a fabulous shooting venue thanks to the commitment of volunteers and generous donors.
Have you noticed how we’ve grown?
- Twelve stations now where there were only five! We had fourteen stations open for our first National Sporting Clays Association registered tournament when, in an early fall snowstorm, we had 34 participants on the first day and a returning 29 hardy souls for more chilly fun on the second.
- A long-desired Long Range electronic card reader system is installed in each of those stations, controlling 26 machines, up from ten.
- Dozens of batteries, solar chargers, and covers were purchased for the machines. Previously, every shooting day, even in snowstorms, volunteers were required to disarm and cover every machine plus swap out batteries and lug them all the way to the barn to be charged.
- The lodge was finished with solar power, a TV, and a wraparound deck. A disabled parking space was paved, the parking lot increased in size and covered with cinder, and steel gates installed.
- For better storage capacity, we added a second Conex for specialty targets and more equipment.
- Our maintenance guys who work year-around on the target machines are benefiting from the recently installed and outfitted 12’ x 20’ maintenance building.
- The 5-Stand area is cleared for better sightlines, equipped with 7 machines, and available as a training site.
- Volunteers setting the course, maintaining and loading machines, cleaning the course, or completing projects now have three gators for use.
- And, of course, this blog which we hope you find useful for staying up to date on the activities and opportunities at Sporting Clays.
All in all, over $50,000 of improvements were generated through grants, from generous donors, and the labors of an incredible group of volunteers. Look for another post where I’ll outline our exciting goals for 2020.
See you out there.