When a progressive thinking group of volunteers gather and they all commit to the same vision, great things happen. At the Redmond Rod and Gun Club the Sporting Clays Team has designed and constructed “Twisted Tree,” an incredible sporting clays course with 16 stations and up to 40 target presentations, all well-placed within sage brush, juniper trees and mossy lava rock.
Late in the fall of 2019, the concept of a new circular course, named for a distinctive twisted tree on the sixth station, was presented to the group. In just four months a one-mile compacted gravel pathway was completed and the first station built. Most of the, now complete, sixteen 6’x12’ stations are covered, four of those elevated. All have gun racks, benches and Long Range electronic trap controllers. Many have mountain views from Mt. Hood to Mt. Bachelor.
The pathway is golf-cart friendly and easily walked, with just enough separation between stations so that shooters feel as if they are the only ones participating. All of the materials for construction of the course were donated by shooters and local businesses, and built entirely with volunteer labor.
Twisted Tree is definitely a bucket list course that each of us should put on our shooting schedule. There is no electricity on-site so the check-in station, maintenance buildings, all battery operated throwing machines, and all card readers are charged by solar. A friendly volunteer will greet you at the check-in station and, from there, your experience begins. Enjoy safe target shooting at this club established in 1945.
Browse this blog to read more about this spectacular venue. Find additional information regarding all of the Redmond Rod and Gun Club disciplines at their website, RRandGC.com.
Sporting Clays 2020 Accomplishments and Goals
- New “Twisted Tree” sporting clays course
- Nearly one mile of gravel pathways that are golf-cart friendly
- 16 large stations, Trex decking with 12 covered and 4 that are elevated
- Up to 40 throwing machines including standard, midi, rabbit, battue, chandelle, and teal.
- 5-Stand: complete renovation with new shoot stands and eight machines
- New training/warm up area with 6’x12’ shoot stand and four machines
- 20’x40’ indoor gathering building in planning mode
- Expanded parking lot
- Multiple picnic tables and a grill
- Much more all accomplished with volunteers and donations